By Nicholas Buccola
The simple liberal democratic proposal is that specific liberty is healthier secured by means of a democratic political order that treats all voters as equals prior to the legislations and is ruled by way of the legislations, with its limits on how the country may perhaps deal with its electorate and on how voters could deal with each other. notwithstanding splendidly coherent in concept, those rules turn out complex in real-world politics. The authors of this quantity technique Lincoln because the embodiment of this paradox—“naturally antislavery” but unflinchingly dedicated to protecting proslavery legislation; defender of the typical guy yet afflicted by way of the excesses of democracy; dedicated to the assumption of equivalent normal rights but not able to visualize a harmonious, interracial democracy. contemplating Lincoln as he tried to see the which means and coherence of the liberal democratic undertaking in perform, those authors craft a profile of the sixteenth president's political notion from quite a few views and during a number of lenses. jointly their essays create the 1st fully-dimensional portrait of Abraham Lincoln as a political actor, expressing, addressing, and reframing the perennial questions of liberal democracy for his time and our own.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Nicholas Buccola
Part One. Lincoln and Democracy
1. Prosperity and Tyranny in Lincoln's Lyceum handle, John Burt
2. Providentialism and Politics: Lincoln's moment Inaugural deal with and the matter of Democracy, Michael Zuckert
Part . Lincoln and Liberty
3. Lincoln and the Ethics of Emancipation: Universalism, Nationalism, Exceptionalism, Dorothy Ross
4. What If sincere Abe used to be Telling the reality? common Rights, Race, and Legalism within the Political considered Lincoln, Nicholas Buccola
Part 3. Lincoln and Equality
5. "The important part of the Republican Party": Antislavery, Nativism, and Lincoln, Bruce Levine
6. Lincoln's Competing Political Loyalties: Antislavery, Union, and the structure, Manisha Sinha
Part 4. Lincoln as a Liberal Democratic Statesman
7. 4 Roads to Emancipation: Lincoln, the legislations, and the Proclamation, Allen Guelzo
8. Lincoln's Kantian Republic
Read or Download Abraham Lincoln and Liberal Democracy (American Political Thought) PDF
Best ideologies books
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2005 im Fachbereich Politik - Politische Systeme - Historisches, observe: 1,3, Universität Osnabrück, Veranstaltung: Vergleichende Demokratieforschung: Theorien, Methoden, Befunde, 19 Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die ersten demokratischen politischen Systeme, innerhalb menschlicher Gesellschaftsformen, entstanden im antiken Griechenland.
What's the personality of secularism in international locations that weren't pervaded via Christianity, similar to China, India, and the international locations of the center East? To what volume is the secular an imposition of colonial rule? Has smooth secularism advanced organically, or is it even important, and has it usually intended growth?
Fossil fuels are undesirable. unlawful immigration is important for the financial system. unfastened markets are arbitrary and harsh. Christians are illiberal. women and men are the exact same. The dogma preached via the some distance left has long gone mainstream and the consequences are scary: such a lot of what you listen nowadays is flat-out flawed.
What are the genuine variations among the Democrats and the Republicans on significant fiscal concerns that effect the nature and energy of the yankee economic system? This quantity solutions this query in a radical, nonpartisan, and evenhanded type. • Examines the measure to which the habit of the parties—the legislation they go and oppose—actually fit their said coverage positions and philosophies• Arranges info in a hassle-free structure designed to assist readers fast locate appropriate details on a variety of high-interest matters• helps curricula of economics periods
- Niccoló Machiavellis Handlungslehre: Die Rolle von Virtù, Fortuna und Necessità (German Edition)
- The Dictator's Army: Battlefield Effectiveness in Authoritarian Regimes (Cornell Studies in Security Affairs)
- The First Socialist Schism: Bakunin vs. Marx in the International Working Men's Association
- How Evil Works: Understanding and Overcoming the Destructive Forces That Are Transforming America
- Democracy Promotion as Foreign Policy: Temporal Othering in International Relations (Interventions)
Additional info for Abraham Lincoln and Liberal Democracy (American Political Thought)
Abraham Lincoln and Liberal Democracy (American Political Thought) by Nicholas Buccola